Wednesday, August 12, 2015

I'm Back... ish

Family visits, strep, weird random virus, middle child UTI, and meningitis have kept us busy this summer.  We snuck in play dates when we could and had a lot of fun.

B had his eval for speech therapy and was recommended for twice a week therapy.  We are still waiting on ABA and OT evals.  That seems to be the game.  Hurry up and wait.  Everyone pushes early intervention and then it feels so easy to get lost on wait lists.

He has made leaps and bounds this summer even without therapy.  It has been astounding to sit on the sidelines and watch things happen.  And I am excitedly nervous for school to start back up.  I want everyone to see what he has done.  I want to show him off.  I want people who know who he was just a few months ago to see who he is becoming.  And, quite selfishly, I want validation.  I want someone to tell me I am not just imagining things.  That he really has started coming out of his "shell" a bit more.  Moms are allowed to be selfish!

I am also nervous, as with every beginning of the school year, if we have done enough.  I know it's too late to go back in time and find more programs to stuff him into.  It isn't a thing we can do, and I'm not sure our summer could have handled much more.  But the mom guilt is always there.

On top of the guilt is the worry, and every mom has it too not just reserved for autism moms, of how the kids will treat him, and how he will do with his new surroundings.  Will he be picked on?  Will he make friends?  Will he learn at the pace he needs to?  Will his new teacher be as kick ass as the old one?  Will she know what autism is and what it means to us and that he is not a person to be pitied but to be challenged as she would challenge every other child in the class?  Please God let her be up for the challenge.  Give her patience and understanding.  She is a first grade teacher after all so she should be full of these things.

And I hope so bad again that the decision to pick up and move here for the schools was the right one.  I really can't say enough good things about last year, and I am praying for a repeat.

Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment